Serves: 6-8 • Cook time: 45-60 min
- 1 Pkg. (6 pieces) Heritage Health Food Chicken Tenders, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- 12 oz box penne paste (w/w or white)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed of ends, remaining diced into 2-inch pieces and steamed
- 1 ½ Tbsp margarine
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¾ cup almond milk
- Cashew cream (recipe below)
- 3 oz. Tofutti Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan parmesan cheese
- 4-5 pieces vegetarian ‘bacon’ (optional)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tbsp Raw cashews (blend in blender to make cashew ‘cream’)
- Begin cooking pasta according to directions listed on package, reserving ½ cup pasta water before draining.
- As the pasta cooks, begin chicken tenders in a mixing bowl, stir basil, oregano, thyme and salt. Sprinkle half of the herb mixture evenly over the diced Chicken Tenders.
- Steam fresh asparagus in a pan with a small amount of water on the bottom. Cover with lid until asparagus is a vibrant green and soft. Avoid over-cooking.
- Prepare Cashew Cream in blender with water and raw cashews.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add Chicken Tenders to skillet. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to plate
- In a saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer, stirring constantly. While whisking, slowly pour in almond milk, and cashew cream. Season with salt to taste and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once it reaches a boil and thickens, reduce heat to medium-low, add Tofutti Cream Cheese and vegan parmesan cheese and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Toss in cooked pasta, then add Chicken Tenders, steamed asparagus, and vegetarian bacon (if desired) and toss to evenly coat.